Friday, February 13, 2009


so today i am up and about after being a little sicky...nothing says welcome to haiti like a little "haitian happiness"...i am successfully eating crackers now so i think all will be well soon...we finally got mickenson's surgery scheduled after three trips to the hospital for dorothy and his mom...it is monday morning at 6am...we are going to drive them since she will have to bring all her own sheets, toilet paper, food, etc. for her and the baby...slightly different experience than in the states...keziah is headed out later today to attend a wedding and i think i am going to get a little driving experience by taking her to the airport...look out streets of haiti...i have driven some already but i still have a lot to learn and i figure the sooner the better...

the kids are doing pretty well...i did a little therapy with poutchino and he responded really well...he is walking a lot more often and definitely getting stronger...i am going to start pulling him and frantzo and a few others up separately to work on some specific things...frantzo seems to remember our work from last time and is always trying to hand me things using his weaker hand...i think he could benefit a lot from a little one on one work

we have had a few dance sessions and those have been fun...we are just experimenting to find the time of day that works the best and i am trying to learn dance terms in creole...that will help alot!
on one of the surgery scheduling attempts we also got to stop by and visit with amanda taylor and her mom janice who were down to visit with the child amanda is trying to adopt from haiti...it was a lovely visit and also very educational since we got to sit in on a meeting with the lawyer who is handling adoptions for several families out of the same orphanage. so much to figure out! blessings to all those families as they try to navigate a system that is perpetually changing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Casey!

    I am so glad you're enjoying yourself back home. :) Sorry to hear that you got a little bit sick, but it sounds like that's pretty much a given when you head that way... and I know you will be fine, especially with the kids around to keep you smiling. Drop me a line one of these days and say hello. I miss you lots!

    Umm... oh yeah, the movie! Friday, I got picked out of a lineup of 30 zombies to go behind the camera with Khali, our giant Haitian (I think) director. I chased Woody Harrelson's SUV all through the parking lot, so I think I'll actually make it on-screen. After that, I got invited to a VIP bash with Woody & crew at Charley O'Corleys. Don't worry, my only vice was Coca-Cola. Hehe. Anyway, yep. You're saving lives, and I'm hobnobbing with Hollywood. This is craziness.

    Hope all stays well down your way. Keep me posted on your goings-on whenever you get a chance, and I shall do the same. Love you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant believe i am just now reading your blog. so glad you met my moms and sister...plus my nephew. you are doing amazing. i'm glad you are going to work with frantzo...i should have done so much more with him. glad you are also working with poutchi...gosh you are changing the world sister. so glad you are in my life, my story...blessings. give poutch a big hug and kiss for him. oh his he getting a snack in the afternoon? love you <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete